ATPS has an independent and dynamically evolving Secretariat with staff to provide executive direction, administrative implementation and physical infrastructure to the network.
The new ATPS Governance Structures have also adapted a Regional Secretariat with a less hierarchical line management structure – managed by a Secretariat Management Committee (SMC). The Secretariat is led by a Secretariat Management Committee (SMC) chaired by the Executive Director. The SMC comprises the Executive Director (ED); Director of Research, Training and Communications (DRTC); Finance and Administration Manager (FAM); the STI Policy/National Chapter Liaison Officer (STIP/NCLO); the Senior Secretary/Programs Administrative Assistant (SSPAS) who is the Secretary to the SMC, and any other Senor Staff that may be appointed by the Executive Director, from time to time. The SMC provides strategic intellectual and administrative direction to the Secretariat and regional activities of the ATPS, in liaison with the ATPS National Coordinators’ Regional Council. The SMC meets regularly to review the activities of the Network for effective continuous monitoring and control and inputs into the network management decisions. Where the SMC fail to reach an agreement on specific management decision, the ED shall consult with the Executive Administrative Board Committee accordingly and/or use his discretion as per the provisions of the ATPS Human Resource Policies and Procedures Manual.
As per the ATPS Articles of Association: Clause 65 the functions of the Regional Secretariat include:
- Identifying all issues of common interest among the chapters;
- Co-ordinating activities and providing overall intellectual and administrative leadership and supervision to the chapters;
- Formulating regional strategy;
- Designing regional programmes, programme of work and budget;
- Calling for regional proposals;
- Evaluating proposals submitted for funding;
- Screening , approving and funding regional activities;
- Monitoring and implementing regional activities;
- Providing guidance and oversight to national activities;
- Seeking funding for support of both national and regional activities;
- Linking the affiliate chapters with other initiatives and representing them in international fora;
- Managing and coordinating international donor support;
- Formulating , overseeing , and coordinating operational standards of the affiliate chapters;
- Managing accountability and reporting systems of the company Network including affiliate chapters;
- Inspecting and audit records and accounts of the affiliate chapters;
- Co-ordination of all the reports and research publication relating to the work done in pursuit of the company’s objects;
- To promote, encourage and assist in various forms of product development through research analysis, publication, marketing, royalties, licensing and related activities for the benefit of the company;
- To own and protect intellectual property including patent prosecution.
The adoption of the new less hierarchical structure of the Secretariat Line management followed the recommendations of the ATPS regional Secretariat SWOT analyses conducted on 22 June 2007 and the subsequent decision no. 22.214.171.124 of the 12th ATPS Board meeting dated 28 June 2007 The specific terms of reference for each position are held at the ATPS Secretariat Finance and Administration Department.
- ED—Executive Director (Board appointed)
- DRTC—Director of Research Training & Communications (Board appointed)
- RTCL—Research Training and Communications Leader
- SCOO—Senior Communications and Outreach Officer
- FAM—Finance and Admin Manager
- SSPAS—Senior Secretary/Programs Administrative Assistant
- SROs—Senior Research Officers
- ROs—Research Officers – Pre- or Post Doctorates
- COOs—Communications Officers
- STIP/NCLO—STI Policy / National Chapter Liaison Officer
- AO—Accounts Officer
- ITA—Information Technology Assistant
- AAR—Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist
- RAs/Interns—Research Assistants/Student Internship
The African Technology Policy Studies Network (ATPS) internship programme continues to offer pre-employment experience to various students from different learning institutions. The objective of this initiative is to help the student encounter, analyze and evaluate issues in their chosen occupations and also to acquire extensive professional experience.